Advanced Research Methodology in Medicine Course
June 1 - December 31₦75000
Aim and objectives
The online course aims to empower Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree candidates, Senior Registrars, Consultants, Lecturers, and other Specialists/Teachers who are desirous of fully establishing themselves in their disciplines with clinical, epidemiological and laboratory research accomplishment through the following objectives:
i. Acquisition of in-depth knowledge, skills and competences in advanced research methodologies.
ii. Conceptualization and development of research ideas for enduring, thematic, impactful and fundable studies.
iii. Appropriate, effective and efficient use of IT search engines for guide to research and publication.
iv. Hands on experience in the use of appropriate statistics in various disciplines.
v. Familiarization with concept and practice in new areas of research: stem cell, genetic manipulation, vaccine development etc.
vi. Manuscript development and writing for high impact journals
vii. Research Ethics
viii. Grantsmanship and accessing research grants.
i. Interactive online lectures with forum discussion and chat
ii. Online practice assignment and group work activities on
a. Use of search engines
b. Development of research proposals
c. Vetting of manuscripts for pitfalls and excellence
d. Exercise in medical statistics
iii. Pre and Post course assessment and evaluation
Who should attend?
1. Senior Registrar undergoing College Doctor of Medicine (MD) Degree Programme.
2. Fellow desirable for the Doctor of Medicine (MD) Degree of the College.
3. Senior Registrars, Consultants, and Lecturers across all medical/dental and allied disciplines; yearning for enhancement of their research capabilities to impactful advance knowledge and practice of their discipline.
4. Consultants and Lecturers involved in resident training, who would like to improve their mentoring capability.
5. Specialists (medical/dental and allied fields) who would like to refresh themselves to competitive advantage, increased access to research funds and international standing.
• Research conceptualization, setting research questions, aim and objectives – Basic and Clinical Sciences perspective
• Sourcing relevant information and critique of literature (search engines)
• Resources for research, collaboration & responsibility
• Ethics and best practices, monitoring and appraisal
• Use of the laboratory in research, preservation of samples
• Sampling techniques
• Use of statistical methods in research
• Systematic Reviews, Meta-analysis, evidence-based medicine and sourcing resources for research
• Manuscript writing: what to publish, pitfalls, communication skills and general principle
• Sourcing funds for research
Course fee: Seventy-five thousand naira only (₦75,000.00k)
Dr. S. S. Sule, FMCPH
Deputy Registrar I (SGBA)
Dr. Fatiu Arogundade, MD, FMCP